Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mardy McGraw, Green building Designer with emphasis on air Quality and Jim Stroupe, Green Architect joined us in studio on Monday.
"Every architect has their own way of doing things. They borrow from past employers and develop new ideas with each client. But childhood experience plays a big part in who we are. I grew up in an old stone farmhouse outside Philadelphia. My mom was an artist and my dad was a scientist. I discovered I wanted to be an architect in the third grade. I've spent my whole life designing spaces for people to live in. I've been a licensed architect in California since 1981, and a licensed general contractor since 1984. I've had over 200 projects built in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don't have one particular style, but enjoy tailoring each project to each client. I have no employees and enjoy doing everything myself. I do my own structural engineering, grading, and landscape design. I can help with all interior finishes and furnishings. I am not trying to get rich, I just want to do good work."
They shared their green checklist and preferred subcontractors with us.
Phone Mardy at 925-787-2471

What can we do?
Tube skylights, more windows, counter top windows
low/no VOC paints, recycled paint, more insulation under your floors.

Keith Severson, Marketing Service Manager With Graniterock, also joined us in studio, Keith is following the green trends in paving.
Improving water runoff issues with pervious concrete, VS impervious concrete. Pervious concrete looks like a rice crispy treat, water soaks in, instead of running off into storm drains, also gives the opportunity to design micro water tables to more effectively capture and recycle rain water.
Keith is also speaking at the ACEexpo.
Cal stones was mentioned, they have pavers that are also pervious

Other ways to recycle concrete is to recrush it for baserock use.
E-mail Keith with questions about pervious concrete and flyash issues.
Mainoffice@graniterock.com

Jeff

No comments: